Airmail To Africa

Kristen, Julie, and Kelsy are three crazy ladies who are setting off on an adventure of a lifetime! Yes, they are heading to the poorest country in the world, Sierra Leone, Africa! They will be working with the Christian organization, Children of the Nations, whose ministry is working with destitute and orphaned children worldwide. Please be in prayer as they embark on this journey.

Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Tuesday, May 08, 2007


It's precious moments like this that make it all worth it...

I have told you about Brima Nyandemoh. He is the little boy that we kind of adopted from Banta during our time there in October. We also had him come visit for Christmas. If I had a bag big enough I would really try to smuggle this one home with me.

Background:

When we were in Banta in March, we were spending sometime in the village one day and Brima was with me. He was making the sign with his hands where he put his pointer finger and his pinky finger up, so I was teaching him the sign for love and I asked someone to translate what the word for love was in Mende.

The Real Story:

Brima had been very made at Sarah and I for not taking him back with us for the Easter holiday, so when we went to Banta last week he wouldn't even look at us, let alone greet us. Eventually, Mama Angie made him come sit with me, but he just sat on my lap as stiff as a board. After some time he forgot that he was mad and he wrapped my arms around him and began playing with my hands. As he was doing this he made my fingers make sign for love. It was one of those silent moments that I will carry with me forever, where the language and cultural barriers that stand between us were broken down and he knew that I loved him and I knew that he loved me. A few minutes later as I was taking a picture of him, he stuck his hand up to make the sign again.
The love of a mother must be so great if I can feel this way about this child who I have only known for a small time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sierra Leone 2010 said...

Hi Kristen,

How are you? I think about you and Sarah all the time! I just got your blog address from Krysta. I loved reading your postings. Add me to your email list when you get a minute (pamwright@COTNI.org). I'd love to use some of your stories and photos on our website or in our publications.

Pam Wright
COTN Communciations Director

10:27 AM  
Blogger Amy... said...

Oh, Kristen...what a great moment!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home