Airmail To Africa

Kristen, Julie, and Kelsy are three crazy ladies who are setting off on an adventure of a lifetime! Yes, they are heading to the poorest country in the world, Sierra Leone, Africa! They will be working with the Christian organization, Children of the Nations, whose ministry is working with destitute and orphaned children worldwide. Please be in prayer as they embark on this journey.

Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

Saturday, February 17, 2007

FGM

I wasn’t going to share this with you, but as I thought about it more I decided I should. Not to depress you or to make you think badly of these people, but more to create awareness, to show you that this still goes on and it shouldn’t. We recently read a statistic that said 94% of women in Sierra Leone under go Female Genital Mutualisation. Historically, women in this country went to the Bundo Society to learn how to be a wife basically, to learn how to take care of children, how to cook, clean, and keep a home. However, over the years Satan has taken this good thing and twisted it to where, now these horrific traditions take place and these girls are given no choice but to comply. Below is my journal entry from that day that the girls from Banta came back from their own Bundo Societies.

January 3, 2007
Today was the day that all the girls came back from the bush from their secret societies where the Female Genital Mutualisation occurs. We went to the village and all the girls from class six came out of one home to greet me. They were all dressed in fine cloths with make-up, etc. I feel like my heart is being ripped out, knowing what those precious girls had just gone through. Why, why, why—Satan’s ultimate form of rape. God I pray for these girls, I intercede on their behalf, please be gracious with them, have mercy on your daughters, show them that this is unnecessary, bring to light the lies that they are told, bring truth to this darkness. I pray that you would heal the bodies of these girls, I pray that you would show your daughters their worth, teach them who they are in you, children of the Most High God.


After writing this I opened my bible and read these words from Isaiah 42:1-4

"Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. He is my chosen one, and I am pleased with him. I have put my Spirit upon him. He will reveal justice to the nations. He will be gentle--he will not shout or raise his voice in public. He will not crush those who are weak or quench the smallest hope. He will bring full justice to all who have been wronged. He will not stop until truth and righteousness prevail throughout the earth. Even distant lands beyond the sea will wait for his instruction."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jesse Richards said...

Thank you Kristin for sharing your journal and what the Lord has been doing in your heart thrugh His Word, I am challenged to pray and encouraged to intercede as you are.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Thee Erin said...

I wish you had done something more.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home